Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"Oh My G*d!"


Everyday, Javin is required to read for 20-30minutes from a book of his choosing. He can choose one from home or one from the library at (public) school. It's always more fun to read something that isn't yours. So, two days ago, he checked out a book at the school library and began reading it to me. Then he stopped and gave me a prerequisite. He said, "Mom, there is a bad word in here, but don't worry because I'm not going to say it." Of course, I yank the book out of his hand and say, "Where? Show me." I was gonna go have me a talk with the school, black out the word, call the teacher...you know, depending...

Javin said, "It says, 'Oh my God', but I'm just gonna say 'Oh my gosh' instead." I breathed a sigh of relief and just smiled like the proud mother that I am. I love the fact that he is so sensitive and innocent. I love the fact that he realizes the importance and consequences of taking the Lord's name in vain. I guess I just didn't expect it from my 7 year old. Funny thing is that I don't ever recall a specific conversation in which we had that discussion. Kids pick up everything whether we realize it or not. He has been watching our actions and words even when we may have forgotten.

His reaction really pricked my heart. If I were reading the same book, would I even have caught that? Would it have bothered me to the extent that it did Javin? Or have I become so numb to the world that it would have just slipped right by without a second thought? I mean this wasn't a blatant curse word or something that jumped off the page. I know that I am already very conscious about not saying the Lord's name in vain, but his conviction just made me that much more aware. "God, I want to be so sensitive to You that I don't miss the little things. I want to feel conviction like he felt with such sincerity in his voice. "

It is so important to guard our gates (mouth, eyes, ears). Don't let anything in that you don't want to come out. Out of a man's heart, so he speaks. Are you guarding your mouth? Does the way you talk change from home to work, school or church?

Oddly enough, I started a cussing cup at work. They pay me in chocolate! It works out great because they understand my convictions and I get the benefit! (Maybe a little out of context but it reminds me of the Scripture that says "The wealth of the sinner is stored up for the righteous!" Their wealth is my chocolate!) That's just a little Kellyology. =0)

How does that gum commercial go? "Dirty, mouth? Clean it up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment