Friday, August 14, 2015

It is well...or is it?

Earlier this week, I was listening to a song that has brought me to tears on several occasions. It’s the newer Bethel version of “It is Well” which modernizes an old hymn and makes it relevant to today. But after everything our family has had to endure the last few years, heck, even recently, is it really “well” with my soul?  
After much deliberation, the answer is actually yes, and here’s why. It wasn’t until recently that I finally understood the lyrics to this song. “It is well with my soul” is not a mere acceptance of an adverse and seemingly unchanging and hopeless situation. It is actually a declaration of a trust so confident in the One who brings peace despite the situation. And if your soul doesn’t believe it, then it’s a command from your spirit that it should!
For example, it doesn’t mean that I have chosen to accept living paycheck to paycheck; it just means I KNOW that God will provide and is orchestrating our very footsteps toward prosperity with new ideas, continued favor, divine connections and divine inspiration. Why? Because aside from Jer. 29:11, He has done it before and if He never changes, then He’ll do it again.
I have also not chosen to just accept the cancer, iniquity and death that has plagued those closest to me. No, what I have chosen is to believe that God sees what I cannot, and if healing that person brings glory to Him, then He will. Does it still hurt? Yes, for all parties involved. Can you still grieve and be at peace? Yes. But have you ever wondered how some can still lift their hands despite the storm? In my case, it’s been because of friends that lift them for you. Just this week, it was my turn to be that friend. It’s heartbreaking because the only help that I can offer when I am thousands of miles away is through prayer.  So, today I am commanding my soul to be still and trust…to be well…to worship from a deep well in hopes that it will bring peace to their soul, too.

It is such a relief to know that you don’t have to be perfect to be “well.” It’s about being at peace regardless of the circumstance. That’s it in a nutshell, plain and simple.
If you would like to give the song a listen, just click the link! It is Well

No comments:

Post a Comment