Friday, May 14, 2010

This Ain't No Mini-Van!

Tucker Treats is now in business! I said I would NEVER drive a mini-van, but I didn't say anything about an ice cream truck! We still need to make some adjustments to the van like repainting it, but here it is! It arrived on Wednesday while I was at work, and seemed to work fine according to Brittany who drove it around to the driveway in the back. Then I tried to start it up on Thursday, and it kept dying. I was freaking out! I was supposed to be taking it for the inspections!

I called the previous owner, and he reassured me that it was working fine before and should be working now. He told me to check all these little things, switches, wires, etc. I popped the hood, everything seemed OK...not that I would really know. I called Jeremy while trying to fight back the tears of disappointment. Then I called the guy back, and he determined that if it wouldn't start, then maybe it was the starter. He told me to try a little trick...still didn't work. I got nothing but strong gas fumes.

To make a long and rather embarrassing story short, Jeremy got home and started it right up. Because of the year of the van, off market fuel pump or something crazy like that, I didn't know you had put the key in and hold for a few seconds before starting it while "feathering" the gas gently at the same time. Eventually, they determined that I flooded the engine in my "inexperience". I didn't realize that "feathering" it was different than "flooring" it. I guess that makes me a stereotypical female in this regard. But, hey, I'll be a pro in no time! At least I figured out how to operate the nifty loud speaker. That thing is so cool; it plays 16 different songs!

Either way, we are rockin' now! Jeremy took it for the safety and emissions inspection today (it passed, whew!) and is getting the registration completed as we speak. I picked out most of the ice cream already; we get the freezer tonight, and we get to pick up our order tomorrow!

I did find out that it takes almost 30 days to get all of the permits for Allen, but the good news is that none are required for McKinney! Let the fun begin!

2 comments:

  1. you should check Melissa.. I've seen one ice cream truck out here ONE time in 5 years.. and we have TONS of kids here... and the one that came before was here shortly after we moved here.. hello? there were 15 houses in the whole neighborhood, now there's hundreds and more neighborhoods that didn't even exist when we came here. You could have a monopoly on Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! That's good to know, but Melissa may be a little far for us to drive. I'll have to see how much gas this thing eats first.

    ReplyDelete