Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Edible Candy Sleigh

I LOVE Christmas! I love the decor, the spirit, the reason, the cooking, the giving, the songs and most of all, spending time with family.

It has been so funny this year to hear Javin and Kadi singing their rendition of Christmas songs. Kadi was singing, "Oh , ho, the mistletoe - one, two, three - I see." I let out a little chuckle as I said, "Ho, Ho the mistletoe. Hung where you can see." That lasted about 2 minutes before she forgot the words again. So cute, but it was Javin that had me rolling! He started singing, "Deck the halls with cows of jolly!" I lost it! I mean can you just picture robust cows hysterically laughing as they sing Fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la-la?!? What a greeting that would be! ♪♫♪

Lately, I have been enjoying doing fun, edible creations with the kids. For Thanksgiving, we did a cute turkey with feathers of candy corn, so for Christmas, we decided to make a candy sleigh. We even invited a few of their friends over to join in the fun for what I called "Javin & Kadi's 1st Annual Christmas Social." I am glad it is only once a year because I will need at least that long to recover and wrap my head around the next one! The sleighs turned out so cute though, so if you decide to make one with your kids, here is what you will need:
  • 2 Candy Canes
  • Vanilla Icing
  • 1 Graham Cracker
  • Shredded Coconut
  • 1 Double Stuffed Oreo
  • 1 Candy Santa
  • 1 Red Fruit Roll-up
  • 8 Gumballs
  • 1 Twizzler Pull & Peel

First, you will want to get the two candy canes and put a heaping amount of icing, so that the graham cracker will stick. The icing will serve as your "glue". Be sure to allow about 10 minutes for it to dry a little.

Then you will want to ice the top of the graham cracker and sprinkle on your coconut. Now we have snow!

For Santa's seat, we will use an Oreo. Separate the halves to make your chair. You may actually want to add a bit of icing to the top to provide some extra stability for Santa. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then add Santa.

Next, we will make the toy sack. Very carefully, unroll the fruit roll-up. It is best to cup it in your hand, so that it doesn't stick to the counter. Pour in the gumballs and bring all edges up to the middle to form a pouch. Stretch out the top a bit, so that you have ample room to tie your Twizzler's Pull & Peel bow. Add the toy sack to the sleigh, and you are done!

Simple, yet fun and the kids end up with a yummy snack! Bring on the sugar high! Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment