Thursday, January 20, 2011

Good, Better, Best

Did you know that the number 11 means “revelation”? Bring on 2011! I began my study yesterday morning researching a simple phrase that God dropped into my spirit after praying for someone that He laid on my heart. Know this: God doesn’t create anything second best. Everything that He creates is His best. This means that you and I are His best because it is simply impossible for Him to create anything less. We are GOOD.

Genesis 1:31 states, “God saw all that He had made, and it was good.” In that same book, it also says that God created us in His image. We were modeled after Him! God is excellent, so that makes us excellent. He is “the best” and in all of His supremacy said that we are good! It is the same principle in that God cannot lie because whatever he speaks instantly becomes truth. So, if He says that you’re good, it’s impossible for you not to be. But sometimes the problem comes in our own definition of good. If I am only good, does that mean that I am not the best?

I know personally that when I say something is good, I usually mean that it is average, OK, mediocre, satisfactory…good, but not necessarily the best. The great thing is that I am completely wrong!

The word “good” directly translates to “tov” in Hebrew which literally means “functional”! According to dictionary.com, functional means “to be capable of serving the purpose for which it was designed.” Now, re-read the scripture with the Hebrew context, and you will see it in a whole different light! Oddly enough, when I looked up the definition for “good”, it says that it is “of excellence, high quality, honorable or worthy, favorably regarded.” I thought only the “best” was excellent...at least that is what we have been programmed to think. The difference is that it is only in the English language that we assign levels of expectation to the word “good” in order to be grammatically correct. (Good, better, best) Everything was created with the same degree of “GOODness” because He chose not to compare one thing or person to another. So, if God doesn’t feel the need to compare, then why do we?

When God said that something was “good”, He meant that it was excellent and fully functional to fulfill the calling or purpose to which he assigned to it. So, when we feel second rate or just “good” in our own mind, think about what God says about good. There is no such thing as second best when it comes to God’s creation.

It is awesome to know that if God thinks we are (cap)ABLE, then all we have to do is be READY and WILLING! God is good, and He said YOU ARE, TOO! That’ll set you free right there! I know it revolutionized my way of thinking, that’s for sure!

1 comment: