Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Peace Through the Storm

Wednesday, June 7th-This week has been a whirlwind of emotion so far. I'm choosing to blog about the following events so that I have a reference point in history to look back and see God's hand in it all regardless of the outcome or my inability to understand. Due to the sensitive nature of the content and to protect the parties involved, I have changed the name of the witness/victim referenced since this case is still ongoing. For those of you that may not know, "Jane" had to testify in the most uncomfortable of situations and speak of unthinkable acts in front of a jury and open court. Staring the defendant in the face and recounting a series of events that I'm not sure I would have had the strength to endure, she has developed a maturity that I've watched blossom through this process.

We were both subpoenaed to testify and it's been a lot of adrenaline, frustration and angst, but I have purposed to intercede for all involved, including the defendant. I am praying that God captures hearts that have strayed or have never had the privilege to know Him...His goodness, His vindication, His authority and His peace.

Yesterday was the first day of testimony followed by another long day today. Jane testified this morning and I am anxious to soon be able to discuss with her everything I cannot right now due to "the rule" being invoked. As a mother, knowing you cannot be in the court room for the most heart-wrenching day of her life leaves you feeling useless. Literally, the only thing I could do was pray and trust God that He would be there with her with ministering angels surrounding her. Cross examination was expected to be brutal in an attempt to invalidate her experience, devalue her character and dilute her story. I am standing firm on Isaiah 54:17 which says, "No weapon forged against you will prevail, and you will refute every tongue that accuses you. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and this is their vindication from me."

Needless to say, when she walked out of the courtroom and I saw the sigh of relief and peace on her face, I knew God was answering prayers...not just my prayers, but the prayers of all friends and family interceding on our behalf. I cannot thank you enough! No matter the outcome, I reminded her that truth is still truth regardless of someone's ability (or inability) to perceive it.

Now we are sitting in the "Victim Assistance" suite, sequestered and drained, and I know that in a courtroom not too far away, the battle still rages on. However, I look over to find her sleeping on the couch. I couldn't help but remember Jesus sleeping in the hull of the boat amidst the storm. Talk about a peace that surpasses all understanding! (Phil 4:7)

And while my strategic piece in this puzzle has been shifted many times, my supernatural peace has remained steadfast. I hope to draw from the courage that has already been on display if or when I take the stand next, and I know that Prov 13:6 says, "Righteousness guards the person of integrity, but wickedness overthrows the sinner." I am believing for a ruling in the favor of justice, but I will choose to trust God in the process regardless. I know that he will provide the grace for whatever comes next, and I'm ok with that.

Once again, thank you for everyone that has supported us in prayer, in person, via text or social media. We have felt it and the enemy knows it.


No comments:

Post a Comment