Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Nothing to Wear???

I had someone come up to me a couple weeks ago and mention that I must have a huge wardrobe because they never see me in the same thing twice. I wish! But with the way the economy has been these last few years, I haven’t exactly had money flowing out my ears. But I do get bored wearing the same thing just like every other woman on the planet, so I am forced to be creative. If my wardrobe appears diverse, it is because I have a few secrets.

1. I NEVER buy anything that is not on the clearance rack. Notice I did NOT say the “sale” rack. Half the time it’s a gimmick anyway just to entice you. Target usually has a great clearance section of 50-75% off, and Kohl’s is a definite option with its 80% off rack. Old Navy is a keeper, too; I just got 3 pairs of dress pants for $.97 each a couple weeks ago. The better the bargain, the more items you can purchase within your budget. (Yes, you need a budget.) Would you rather pay $30 for one shirt or $30 for 2 shirts, a pair of pants, some rocking shoes AND new earrings? (Yes, it can be done.) Always buy the seasonal clearance. Don’t worry; you will still be “in style” next year. Here’s why…
2. If you are one to follow the trends, then this one is for you. Clothing can always be tweaked, altered, blinged, sewn, etc. Get creative. I may see an item on clearance and immediately my wheels start turning. I love Hobby Lobby. You can get some really trendy iron-on patches, Swarovski crystals and loads of other items to make your clothing stand out. (But only go on the weeks that your items are 50% off! If it’s not on sale the week you go, wait a week and it will be.)
3. Or instead of following the trend, BE THE TREND! How else do you think trends are started? Since my job does not allow much room for creativity, the only way I can express it is with my style…which I have no idea what that is since it changes with my mood or activity! Be you. Express yourself! (This does not mean that you can wear white after Labor Day. Some rules are just not meant to be broken.)
4. Recycle and Re-use! This is my favorite. Recently, I needed a formal, but I was way too frugal to go buy a new one. So, I found a bridesmaid dress collecting dust in my closet along with my 10 year old rehearsal dinner dress from my wedding. I paired the two together (after a couple other failed attempts) and found a happy marriage of sorts. Then I added a long black scarf, some bling and a glove for a little glam effect fit for the red carpet! (The pic is one of me goofing off, but it's the only full length pic I could find of the dress.) And I didn’t have to spend a penny. Don’t be afraid to experiment with your wardrobe. This brings us to my next point…
5. Mix and Match! If you have always worn “that” shirt with “those” pants, then don’t. Make yourself try something new. Your wardrobe will appear much more diverse if you follow this little secret. Add a tank or jacket to a shirt that you may normally wear by itself. Change up the accessories; swap out the shoes or add a fun hair piece. This is by far the most fun step! If you really want to step outside your comfort zone then invite a friend over to look through your closet. They may pair something together that you would have never thought of. Two heads are better than one!
6. Lastly, browse through the thrift store. You can find lots of great vintage pieces, fun jewelry and other unique items. I found a dress that I wore last year for a Christmas social for $2.50! It is still one of my favorite finds so far! What you may not know though is that you can bargain at a thrift store much like a garage sale. Tell the clerk what you would be willing to pay. Stick to your guns (or put it back) and you could walk away with a steal!

Now you can never say that you have nothing to wear again! I ♥ being frugal, funky and fun…and even more so when it can be accomplished on a shoestring budget. Now Roman has caught the fever, too! He bought a shirt off the Target rack for about $2 the other day. I’m so proud. (sniff, sniff)

No comments:

Post a Comment