Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Who am I?

What do I believe and why do I believe what I believe? These are the questions that I have been asking myself lately. This has caused me to focus in great detail on some controversial issues and seek Scripture for the answers. Some are a result of personal conviction while others are written in Red.

I have decided to begin a series of blogs that share my personal opinion on topics such as drinking, tattoos & piercings. I may pursue other topics as well depending...Sure, I realize that not everyone will agree, but this blog will be more for the benefit of myself and keeping me accountable. I want to be able to look back in 20 or 30 years and have something to gage myself against. Will I still have the same convictions? Will I be wiser then or wiser now? My main goal is to prevent compromise and compare my “notes” as God reveals Himself to me over the course of my lifetime.

You are more than welcome to share your opinion, so please feel free to do so in your own blog. I will allow comments, but use discretion. This is not meant to be a discussion, just my point of view. And if there is an individual seeking guidance, then I hope that this will empower, confirm, convict or encourage you. Either way, you need to establish your own belief system based on the statutes of God’s Word and the relationship that you have with Him.

Let me note that everything that I believe has been filtered through the cross. Last night in the shower, I had a really cool revelation, or maybe it’s just an analogy. The American flag is a symbol of freedom and liberty. Our ancestors came here to establish a nation that allows freedom of speech, freedom of worship and freedom from the governing body that they left behind. Anything before the flag has passed away. Everything after the flag establishes democracy for a new nation and represents a new hope, new rule and new doctrine. Freedom and hope. Men gave their lives for the flag. That sure sounds a lot like the cross.

In the words of my husband, the cross does three things. It either fulfills, continues or abolishes the law. The tricky part is figuring out which one is which, and that’s what I hope to dissect over the next several weeks. There is a reason that it’s called the OLD Testament and the NEW Testament. We are not bound by the chains of bondage and sacrifice anymore! The cross brings freedom thanks to the blood that was shed. Christ sacrificed Himself, so that we don’t have to. All this to say, filter your life, convictions and beliefs through the cross.

I am in no way a Biblical scholar and I sure don’t pretend to be! But I am a daughter of the King who aims to please her Father. What you see is what you get. Thus, the following blogs will be raw, real and relatable.

The timing couldn’t be more perfect with the 4th of July just around the corner. So, let’s go racing, boys! Gentlemen, start your engines! (Yes, I am a NASCAR fan.) …And God bless America!

(based on 2 Corinthians, chapter 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment