Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Music of Your Life

I heard Pastor Gamble preach a message a few times on different styles of music and their associations. It was the first part of his THINK.BE.DO series. For example:
Rock 'n Roll invokes attitude
Country music tells a story
HipHop gives (false) street credibility
Jazz is about improv
And the list goes on...

Well, it really did get me to ponder a number of things. It is not to say that listening to other styles is a bad thing, it is just important to understand what you are exposed to, the associations behind them and what affect they can have on you. I have found that music can influence my moods which, inevitably, I choose. If you have been depressed, what type of music are you listening to? I found that listening to something contrary to how I'm feeling is a great way to change how I'm feeling. In the same regard, it can also enhance how I'm feeling. Either way, it is a conscious choice.

When I am depressed or angy, I try to listen to upbeat, victory-declaring praise songs. When I'm anxious, I like to listen to something soothing and peaceful like jazz. When I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel and I wonder where God has gone, I listen to worship songs that offer thanksgiving. If I am in a fun mood, maybe I'll even listen to a little Elvis! (not a word, Jeremy.) Sometimes, I even listen to country...though not something I like to admit either!

But this is where I started thinking...Basically, my attitude is a melody; my thoughts are a melody; my actions are a melody...all influenced by something whether it be positive or negative. All of these things make up my life's song. So what am I singing? What message am I sending to everyone? How is my song affecting someone else that might be listening? Do I need to "put another record on"?

I also posted the following question on Facebook: If your life were a song, what tune would it be playing? For mine, I ended coming up with a medley because I couldn't pick just one. It would start with Holy Visitation (Rita Springer's version) because I can identify with the tagline at the end, and this song also references the urgency I feel for today's generation. Battlecry is the second...see my first post and you'll understand why. Shout Unto God is the third because I have seen Satan defeated over my life and have found victory that I am able to walk in daily. This is not to sound super-spiritual, it is just where I'm at right now. I guarantee that three years ago, I was singing a different song...probably a much more depressing one that would have been concert length!

So here are a few of the responses that I got. I think it is interesting food for thought. Each show where we were at given one point or another.
*Ronny Michel: The Warrior is a Child by Twila Paris. (While fighting cancer, that was the song her heart sang, and 16 years and many battles later, it is still the song of her heart.)
*Rudy McGee and Angie Stocking both chose: Stand in the Rain by Superchick
*Stacy Ojeda: Spilled Out and Broken

So what is the melody of your life song?

No comments:

Post a Comment