Friday, August 7, 2009

Time for a Garage Sale?


I am having a Garage Sale tomorrow. I love and hate so many aspects of it. I love the fact that I get to go through every room, every closet, every drawer and clean out the junk. Throw some stuff out, find stuff I forgot I had, try to find a place for the stuff I want to keep and garage sale the rest. My house looks like it was ransacked by a hurricane! (Well, maybe a 5 and 6 year old...)

Then comes the part I hate. Reorganizing everything, cleaning up everything that is strewn across the floor, changing up the scenery and trying to declutter. It's funny how you accumulate so much so often. Lots of items hold sentimental value while others you can't even remember why you ever liked that, wore that or hung that.

Some of the bittersweet items I came across were my drapes from my home in Charlotte, from our "living" room. It brought back so many great memories. One specific was our LDG (Life Development Group) from Freedom House. Our living room was always packed out with great people and great testimonies. These drapes have heard many of the trials and prayer requests that all of us encountered. These drapes have seen housemates come and go and been with us through the changing seasons in our life. They have served their purpose and now it's time for them to move on. Yet, it is so hard for me to let them go. They are just drapes for crying out loud!!!

In a strange way, this garage sale has caused me to reflect on my life and not just the "things" in my life. Do I have any "clutter" in my life that shouldn't be there? Is the "clutter" covering up any hidden talents that I didn't know existed? Do I have any hurts that have been tucked away for so long that I forgot they were there? What "items" need to be put away and what needs to be dusted off? The last few weeks, I have definitely been finding out! Be careful when you ask because you are likely to get an answer!

Our lives go through so many seasons and transitions that sometimes it is beneficial to stop and reflect, sweep out the dust and reorganize. Most of the time you have to plow through the mess, the uncomfort and the uneasiness before you can see the big picture again.

But I love it when the Garage Sale is over! Things begin to settle again and there is a fresh new peace both in my life and in my home. Aaahhh...


Phil 4:7 ~ And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


No comments:

Post a Comment