Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Crossing the Finish Line


It is amazing what 21 days of no food will do to you! I did break it slowly with fresh bell peppers, but by lunchtime on Sunday, I was ready for potroast! It’s crazy how your taste buds reset and everything is super sensitive. I could vividly taste each grain of pepper! This brings a whole new enjoyment to eating.

So, the 3-day water fast was the last leg of the journey. Let me just say that I hope I never have to do that again. The spiritual benefits were much needed, but the physical aspects were pretty taxing on the body. I definitely couldn’t have done the latter without the former.

By Thursday night, I had begun the deep detoxing. I became emotional and extremely tired. Headaches and dizziness were preceded by nausea, muscle stiffness and back pain. As years of toxins were released, my breath smelled like something died in it, and my mouth tasted like I ate a battery. I couldn’t get the metal taste out of my system for days! Then on Saturday, it felt like my face was excreting tingly, invisible bugs. I know that sounds disgusting, but I can’t think of any other way to describe it. I could literally FEEL the toxins leaving my body. I took at least two showers that day! Jeremy had a couple of the same symptoms, except he had extreme itching for about 12 hours straight. I lost a total of 11 pounds, and Jeremy lost 17! But, don’t worry; we each gained back 4 the second we started eating.

During this process, I remember soaking in a warm bath on Friday crying out to God because I had no strength, my speech was slurred and I wanted to give up. Then I had this peace just sweep over me. Immediately, God quickened to me Is. 40:31 which says, "But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles. They shall run, and not be weary, and they shall walk, and not faint." WOW! Talk about a word in season! I also began to see Phil. 4:13 in a whole different light…“I can do ALL things through Christ who STRENGTHENS me!” As I began to diligently seek His face, I could not believe the amount of supernatural strength that I had been given. I vowed to spend time worshiping Him regardless of how I was feeling. In return, I ended up with enough strength to clean the rabbit cage, sweep and mop the floor, straighten the house for company the next day and do major grocery shopping. And all without passing out!

Here is the other miracle: I’m not dead yet. Because I have Addison’s disease of the pituitary, I take multiple daily cortisol supplements. Stopping them can send me into an Addisonian crisis which can be fatal. Without the pills, I shouldn’t even be able to have enough strength to get out of the bed. Well, I stopped taking them 10 days ago and I’m still kicking and fully functioning. I felt originally that this was the direction that the Holy Spirit was leading me with the hope that the strenuous fast would reset the pituitary gland in an effort to produce and release the cortisol on its own again. I still have bouts of tiredness as I try to recover from the fast, but I trust that my healing will only continue as my health begins to improve. I basically met God half way, and I expect Him to hold up His end of the bargain. History tells me that he will, so I am taking him at His Word which I know will not return void. And I know that I know this fast was a God-inspired thing.

Thank you for supporting me on this journey and helping me cross the finish line. I really appreciate all of the prayers and loving words of encouragement. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment