Friday, January 29, 2010

My WHO DAT Rant. So, Sue Me!


This is my official rant. Why is WHO DAT so important? Why are Saints fans outraged? I am not a sports freak, so why are the Saints so special to me? Here is why.

Many often wonder about the bond between the Saints and their fans. To most other cities, their sports teams are nothing more than just that. But to New Orleans, the Saints inspire unity, perseverance and hope. Those are important factors in a city that has overcome devastation and begun major restoration. Not many teams can state that their quarterback gave a good portion of his salary to rebuilding a city, a home, a Who Dat Nation. The team went above and beyond to give back to the most dedicated species on the planet…a Who Dat, a Saint in itself.

The Superdome has been a symbol for a city that will never forget Katrina. It is an iconic structure that holds many emotions both happy and sad. But the greatest of all is the triumph that remains. To be able to look back and see how far New Orleans (as a city and a team) has come, softens even the hardest of hearts whether you are a sports fan or not. Going to a Saints game unifies the people of the city because of the gratefulness they feel deep in their soul. Your political preferences don’t matter, nor does your race or religious background. Everyone is there to support a city that supported them, and vice versa.

For me, it is not even necessarily about the game. Heck, outside of a touchdown, I forget the rules every season, and Jeremy is patient enough to explain it again. For me, it is about family time, unity. Growing up, that was the one thing that brought our family together without fail. And even though my family has gone different directions and is miles apart, it is STILL the one thing that brings us together. I love that modern technology has afforded us that opportunity. I can be calling my mom, texting my dad, cheering with the family and watching the game all at the same time. And while we may get a similar effect with Nascar, the Saints are personal because we have a history.

So when someone comes in to try to steal a term coined by the fans themselves, you can now understand the cause for revolt. When a Saints fan says, “Who Dat,” we say it with pride. To “cease and desist” would bring about a further devastation than the one we just recovered from. The NFL should be ashamed for trying to cash in on the ray of hope that has been with NOLA from the beginning. I wonder if “Cha-Ching” is next, or the brown paper bag for that matter.

So, in the spirit of Louisiana, I say “Who Dat? Who Dat? Who dat say dey gon’ beat dem Saints?” Good luck, NFL because you probably had no idea which “dat” you were messing with. And even though I don’t live in NOLA anymore, I know they are still a force to be reckoned with. Once a Saints fan, always a Saints fan.

Thank you, Saints, for creating many great family memories, and I look forward to more on February 7th. GEAUX SAINTS and congrats on the Superbowl!!! WHO DAT!!!

1 comment:

  1. Great Kell!! "Saint" that the truth!!

    We chose to close the studio early last Sunday to catch the game. A customer the next day called and chewed us out! She said "you closed for a 'football game'?" I politely and calmly, while holding back my true anger, told her it was not just about a "football" game. You see....as I proceeded to tell her the exact same stuff you said here. And I ended it with that's why New Orleans is so important to us! She felt so horrible after that and just kept apologizing. I actually couldn't believe it, then I started feeling bad because she was feeling so bad?! Anyway all is well, Praise God! And now she is pulling for them! That's what I'm saying....WHO DAT?

    ReplyDelete