Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gentlemen, Start Your Engines!!!


I can almost see the finish line! I guess it’s comparable to a white flag on the final lap! (My Nascar friends will appreciate that metaphor.) This experience has been so rewarding and I am beginning to really understand God’s grace for the first time.

Last Thursday was a rough day as far as hunger and physical well-being, but yesterday was even worse. I started the juiced veggies and fruits, and although I wasn’t necessarily starving, I was dealing with a mental battle. The veggies (broccoli, asparagus, spinach, romaine lettuce, celery, carrot and cabbage) made me want to vomit. When you juice them all together it smells like you are drinking freshly cut grass. In my mind, I just wanted to give up. Taco Bell never sounded so good, a Lunchable never looked so good and a grilled cheese never smelled so good! I had definitely become “weary in well-doing”. Other than Thursday and Monday, things haven’t been so bad!

Sunday after church, a lady came up to me and said that God had given her a vision, or a dream, about me in the same outfit that I was wearing. She said that she was supposed to pray for me, but didn’t know what about. That was perfect timing since I was starting the third stage of my fast on Monday. She vowed to lift me up in prayer and support me! How awesome is that?!? And she doesn’t even really know me! I love that God is watching out for me and sending me the encouragement I need. It helped get me through Monday that’s for sure!

When I awoke this morning, it was like I had a cup of fresh grace! My mind was completely renewed and my spirit was well. I was completely shocked. The last few days, I feel that God has been teaching me about His grace. In fact, it overwhelms me that His grace is so sufficient. I know that I have tried fasts before and never made it past day 5, so this is totally a God thing…and the fact that I am physically doing it without having to be hospitalized is a miracle in itself! Goodness, one day fasts are hard enough and usually if I even skip a meal, my hypoglycemia kicks in. Well, I haven’t had ANY problems so far. Woo-hoo!

Have you ever noticed that when you have the grace to do something it seems possible, but when the grace lifts, it is near impossible? I believe that grace and peace go together. Once the grace is lifted and the peace disappears, then it’s time to move on to the next thing on God’s agenda. So often though I think we fail to recognize the gentle nudge and stay in situations or circumstances longer than He ever intended. Peace leads and grace will follow. I will say that I have never had such peace to do a 21 day fast as I have these past few weeks. But, I have a pretty strong feeling my “grace” for this fast will be gone by Sunday! ;)

I believe it pairs well with 1 Cor. 10:13, “No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.” So, basically, God will never give us more than we can handle or ask us to do anything that he hasn’t done or wouldn’t do. When He asks you to do something, He will always provide the grace to do it; that’s why you can handle it. If there is no grace, then HE didn’t give it to you. Interesting food for thought…especially since food can ONLY be a thought right now! Ha, how ironic!

You know what is also ironic is that while the white flag symbolizes the final lap in a Nascar race, it is also a symbol of submission and surrender in times of battle. And at this point in my life, I can honestly say that “God, I surrender to you in everything, wholly and completely. I have seen the peace and joy it brings, and I never want to leave that place. Thank you for running this race with me. I can see the finish line ahead and I am so excited to see what is in store after the Winner’s Circle!” Bring on the Black and White checker!

No comments:

Post a Comment